Are you the Minister of Music for a small church? Medium church? Mega church? Do you have a choir? Are you always looking for new choir members, but only ever get a few to commit? Do you get the same excuses every time you mention joining the choir to someone?
Don’t worry. You’re not the only one. But, there’s great news! I guarantee you there is a member somewhere out in the auditorium wanting, even wishing, to be in the choir, but simply does not have the courage to join!
I know because I was that person. I was singing my heart out in the very last pew, in the very back of the church, but the thought of joining the choir scared me to death…even if there were 150 other people singing in our choir loft.
Here are a few of the reasons I always gave for not joining the choir…
- Can’t Sing or Read Music
- Commitment Issues
- Stage Fright
All of these are reasonable excuses, because really, who wants a choir member that can’t sing or read music, won’t show up for practices, and hates being in front of people – that’s certainly not an ideal choir member. But, with that being said, let me tell you what I was really saying when I gave my excuses:
- Alright! I admit it…I can sing and read music, but I’m not a musician, so it scares me that I won’t be perfect.
- You said how many hours? – Well, really, a few hours aren’t so bad, especially when reminded to whom I’m singing my praises.
- Yes, I’ve got stage fright, but only if it was me, all by myself, on the stage with no confidence monitors. Add me to 15 or even 150 people, and I’m not as terrified.
So, as you’re looking out from the loft and thinking of ways to get members to join the choir, here’s a few words you should use to encourage them…
- Let every person know you’re not looking for perfect voices, but rather someone that loves singing praises to the Lord. Enthusiasm wins any day of the week.
- Yes, it is a commitment, but a few hours singing praises to the Lord can change their whole day, week or life (whoa….)!
- There’s a whole choir that has their back. They don’t have to stand on the front row…simply imagine standing and singing to Jesus in front of Jesus.
And…go ahead…encourage someone to join the choir…even if they’ve said no a million times. Remind them they never know what might happen if they join! As for me, when I joined the choir, I had a different job I thought I loved. God had other plans. I met one choir member, and today, I work at LifeWay Worship serving my God, with a team of folks I adore, doing a job I love…all because I joined the choir!
Chasity Phillips is the Marketing Strategist for LifeWay Worship. She’s also a choir member at Brentwood Baptist Church AND an EVERY Sunday nursery worker. She loves being creative. Her “Happy Place”: Worship Music + Creativity (add a palm tree, and that’s how she imagines Heaven). She also loves social media… so BEWARE, you might find yourself on the pages of LifeWay Worship’s FB page or Twitter feed. Outside of LifeWay and Church, she can be found at a baseball field somewhere…watching her three baseball-loving boys (husband, Brent and two boys, Peyton & Palmer) play baseball OR cheering on her Alma Mater, The Florida State University Seminoles. Psalm 143:8