First of all, if you are attempting to mount your very first children’s musical or this is your tenth musical, I want to encourage you and say YES!!!! I’m excited for you and your children. I LOVE using a musical as a way to teach children God’s word, present the Gospel message, and provide an opportunity for them to use their God given gifts and talents to glorify God!
Here are the five things you must do when presenting a musical.
- Pray! Nothing will ever substitute for asking God for wisdom and discernment as to how to proceed with your ministry to His precious children. Cover everything in prayer and He will guide you and bless your efforts. Pray as you select your musical, gather staff, consider your venue, advertise, make your calendar, meet with the children and the list goes on and on. Pray!!!
- Choose your musical wisely. Make sure it is Biblically sound and worthy of you spending a semester working on with your children. Yes of course you want it to be fun and appealing to your children, but by all means make sure there is a ton of “meat” in the script.
- Be realistic and take into consideration your limitations. How much time do you have? Approximately how many children will you be working with? What is your budget? How experienced are your children with music, drama and dance? What are the set and costumes needs? There are all important questions to consider when you are going to present a musical.
- Make sure the children understand what they are singing about. Please take quality time in class with devotions around each song so they can apply the truths to their lives. We are hiding God’s word in their hearts through the gift of music.
- Remember that the whole reason we are doing a musical in the first place is to glorify God! We want to please Him! Everything we do should be done in love… because that would please the Father. Every task should be done with excellence, because again that would please and glorify Him. Take time each week to find moments to worship Jesus because He is our audience, and we use our gifts to shine the light on Him!
I’m praying right now for anyone who is reading this blog and asking God to bless you and fill you with joy and excitement as you step out to reach children with God’s love while presenting a musical.
Celeste Clydesdale is a multiple Dove Award-winning children’s music creator with thousands of children around the world performing her works annually. Wife and creative partner of David T. Clydesdale, Celeste is also a children’s music clinician and teacher, and children’s choir director.